Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Nanjing is beautiful and full of potential

Nanjing Software Expo reminds me of Comdex in the 80's

Fond of Nanjing

I have grown very fond of Nanjing. It is a city of great potential. I have seen many sides of the city. It is beautiful and visually stunning.  It has culture. The people are well educated and hard working and crazy drivers - ask me about traffic chaos theory.

Hello Nanjing Web Site
It has resources. It has some very sincere and capable leaders. It even has a good sense of openness to ideas from around the world. All of this, but it still has to conform to central government policies which in some cases require a less than perfect strategy. Ok, this is just another architectural constraint, right? I deal with these everyday. It is frustrating, but there are ways around the constraints.

If you were to move here you would find mountains, lakes, rivers, and and a passion for greatness. What else is needed?  How about an effective management system? Yes, I think this is what is needed. It is fundamentally what we will provide in our recommendation.  Our slide deck is now at 125 but how to short to 10 slides for Mayor Ji?  Hmm.

The Team

Our team is well matched. Despite the pressure of cranking through what should have been a much more limited scope that is trying to solve all of Nanjing's evolutionary issues, we gel well and are pretty compatible. We are already talking about a reunion in Bora Bora or Figi. Or more realistically, Las Vegas. :-)

We meet with the IBM and Chinese media over the next couple of days to prep them for what will be. You will be able to read about this on IBM's intranet and the CCTV in China. (Good luck finding that on Hulu.)

Doug Robinson - Team Member and PM
We meet with Mayor Ji on Friday. Mayor Ji is responsible for a 8 million person corporation. The challenges are great. I think we are up to the task.

Back to Normal

I would like to share so much with you all as this has been an experience of a lifetime. I miss my family, though. I have never been away this long from them or my dear friends.  I miss my tennis group, my church, my small group and the harvest moon. I miss the smell of smoke in the backyard from all of the fires post high school football games.  I miss it all.  You wouldn't think that one month is that long.  I can't wait to catch up with all of you.

We wrap this up soon and it will be back to Normal by Saturday evening.

One of my jobs in this consulting gig is to help Nanjing develop a social media strategy. Blogging is just one component of social media. Thanks for indulging me in it.  See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment